Here we go. Day one and we're off and "running." Started the day strong, but you know, starting anything like this on your birthday is kinda tricky. First off, I was taken to breakfast by my bossladyfriend - to a YUMMY restaurant, not particularly known for "light" meals. But I made some decent choices without sighing...replaced eggs with egg beaters, lots of veggies in the omelet - I didn't reach for the ketchup (holy cremoley!), didn't put jelly on the whole wheat toast - and didn't clean my plate. Okay, I did eat all the potatoes - they are awfully good. But I didn't eat all the toast, nor even the omelet. I'd say a first for me for sure. Especially from there! I drank only water with my meal, and then - stand back now...I didn't drink any diet coke until late in the afternoon! I will admit, I did knock one back first thing in the morning - but I'm not quite ready to give up all my caffeine!
Lunch came and went with no particular fanfare - sushi with NO spicy sauce...just tuna and salmon rolls - I'll figure out the count on that one and I indulged in my big fountain diet coke then.
More water.
Then, since it was my birthday and all - my family took me to a new restaurant - a Greek one, full of bechamel sauce and richness. But I think I chose pretty well considering. I had hummus, and limited my pita intake, a salad (and Mindy would be proud of my fork dipping practice, in what has to be the most awesome salad dressing ever - the kind you could almost bathe in - it's that good!), and then a broiled chicken thing with veggies and orzo. It was in a lemon sauce, but hey, it wasn't the moussaka!
More water.
I did relent on the mini tiramisu they served me in honor of the big day - I tried to only go half on it, but well - it was really good. But it was light and airy, and didn't feel that bad. At least it was a lot better than the chocolate mousse/cake thing my mother got!
And I did have a diet coke...or two-ish.
Overall - the caffeine purge is the hardest part, really. But being a habitual person, rather than an addictive one, I think it's might just be the big ol' fountain drink cups and straw that I love - not as much as what's inside it. Though I did seem to yawn a LOT today. I'm going to try starting with my morning one BAD (big-ass drink), and then just filling that with water the rest of the day. There's something oddly comforting in that straw...but man, my bladder is like the size of pea. But only with water. I could literally drink a 12 pack of diet coke and pee like twice all day. With water, it's like every hour. Hey, do the trips to the bathroom count for exercise? Maybe I should use the farther ones...hey, every step counts, right?
I dragged my mom and kids for a walk after dinner - which I'm trying to make more regular - and though it wasn't at a pace I'd prefer, it was longer than I planned, and the real bonus to that was getting my mother to walk.
And so the day comes to a close. I won't be eating anything tonight - big goal is to stop the munching after 8:00 PM. More...water...I'm sure.
This was a MUCH better birthday than my last. Rather than dwelling on my age and my mortality like last year, I'm looking forward, looking ahead - a renewal, a rejuvenation. A sense of empowerment and self-confidence...I'm feeling it brewing...
YUMMMMMMMMMMM.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mags, this is a great idea. What a great motivational tool keeping this blog. I will be checking on your progress as you reach your goal to your healthier and happier place. You go girl!
ReplyDeleteI am sooooo proud of you for taking this on, Mags-a-rags-a-ding-dong. Don't get too put out by the people who are barking percentages and techniques at you. Any effort is good effort. I hope you can keep up with the blog so we can all follow your progress! Big love to you.
ReplyDelete